Good Morning

Good Morning
Starting a day looking out library window

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Reflection


Media 2.0 has contributed to a gauntlet of emotions. I began hearing the term 2.0, increasingly during a monthly Media Clerk meeting. Bud Hunt came to a meeting and did a presentation on what is "1.0 vs 2.0". Prior to that presentation I had not even know what either term meant. Bud came to another Media Clerk meeting and gave a presentation on Publisher. That program is on my work desktop and I did not even know it was there. When Myra menitoned this class , during a Media Clerks monthly meeting, I figured that this was time to get my skills updated. Even though I had heard the phrase "2.0", I did not have a clue as to what to expect for the class. I registered for the class and just showed up for the first class. I was in shock during the first class; that I needed to make a blog. As the class progressed I began to feel frustration; when am I going to have time to use these tools at work, outdated with my skills, and finally excitement when I finished a difficult task. Looking back on my blog, I feel that I have explored areas that are relevant to my job, such as working with photos, copyright information, and Library Thing. My biggest accomplishment was learning how to put a link on the blog. Adding a link became a source of frustration for me because I was doing it incorrectly. Once Myra showed me how to do this this correctly, I was very successful. The best feeling about adding a link to my blog, was a week after learning this skill, a teacher at work asked me to research a specific source, that she was unable to locate. Once finding this information, I was able to email her the web URL to her via a link. That felt wonderful! Some weeks doing the assignment I felt irrelevant for my life, such as Twitter (my life so dull who cares about what I do?) and using a cell phone as a tool (I do not even have a cell phone). I do not have enough work hours or energy to add some of the 2.0 tasks to my day. The teacher librarian at my school enjoys doing the technology tasks, that I really have little need to do it on a daily basis. Now that I have taken 2.0, I feel that I will be able to help him with the technological aspects when he gets swamped. Doing Media 2.0 as a group, at times, made me feel inferior because it seems as if maybe I am skipping out on a pertant duty in my job. Other Media Clerks seemed to be expanding their knowledge by being able to go back to their library and then use the tool on the job. I have had little use to use 2.0 on my job. My days at work are filled with getting the books checked out, getting the books checked in, putting the books back on the shelf, catalouging new books, etc. In addition, I do computer lab schedules for three computer labs and entering the reservation on the schedule. I would like to adjust theses calendars used for scheduling because I feel it is confusing. Maybe during those weeks, when I am working and school is out, I will be able to edit the claender using Google Aps. Myra has been wonderful at teaching this course. She has been very patient and knowledgeble. It was also nice to get to know the other Media Clerks better during this setting. This PST has made me feel that I am expanding my knowledge in the expanding world. I am still a very old fashion person when it comes to libraries. I enjoy the feel and smell of a new book. Reading and researching on a computer is not stress free for me. I do not want to be on a computer at home and at work. Reading a book curled up on my sofa is a great stress reducer and entertainment for me. Social networking will never be a priority for me. All in all, I am glad I took the class. I would like to expand my use of a ditigal camera and uploading photos. Thank You Myra!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ann said...

When the class first started I thought that my mind would never be able to absorb all of this new techie information. I'm with you on the feeling of success with knowing how to add a link to my blog!!

MyraG said...

Lu,
I hope you realize how far you've come! Your blog is great -- I hope you continue to practice adding some content! You will find yourself using some of your new skills more and more -- just never doubt yourself! You have done awesome! It has been so much fun getting to know you, and everyone, better. What a fun and amazing group! Thanks for all you added to the success of the class. By the way -- DON'T open your comment from akinol -- it is malicious SPAM! Delete it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MsLinda said...

You did a fabulous job on your blog and I know that sometime in the future you will use all that you learned. Find one thing and become an expert at its application!